California Dream Act Students
Dream Act Students are individuals who were born abroad and may have entered the United States as children without the proper documentation to be considered a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident, even though they may have resided here since childhood. We work closely with undocumented, underdocumented, and DACAmented students to assist them with the application for admission, the financial aid process, and throughout their time at Cal Lutheran.
If a student is a part of a mixed status family (meaning that the student may be a U.S. citizen, but one or more family members may be undocumented, underdocumented, or DACAmented), they are able to receive support from the DREAMers support network.
California Dream Act Application
As you apply to Cal Lutheran, we encourage you to submit a California Dream Act Application. This application is used by undocumented students who meet the eligibility requirements of California Assembly Bill 540 and come from a lower income household or qualify for need-based aid. The California Student Aid Commission process the application and any aid received can be used at eligible California public or private institutions.
Cal Grant Eligibility
We would like to remind you, as is stated on the California Student Aid Commission website, in order to meet eligibility for the Cal Grant through the California Dream Act you:
- Must have attended a California high school for a minimum of 3 or more full academic years (between grades 9 through 12)
- Must have or will graduate from a California high school or have attained a G.E.D.; or received a passing mark on the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE);
- Must register or is currently enrolled at an accredited institution of higher education in California
- Must file or will file an affidavit as required by individual institutions, stating that the filer will apply for legal residency as soon as possible; (Applicable to public universities, not Cal Lutheran)
- Must not hold a valid non-immigrant visa (F, J, H, L, A, E, etc.)
Cal Lutheran Access Grants
Access Grants are awarded annually to Dream Act eligible students. To be considered students must complete a California Dream Act Application every year. There are a limited number of grants available. The amount of the grant may change in subsequent years. The final amount will be determined annually by the Office of Financial Aid. Learn more about Cal Lutheran access grants.