COVID-19 Info

The health and safety of all of our students is our priority. Due to the spread of COVID-19 around the world, we monitor closely the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Department of State recommendations and travel advisories in response to this developing situation. Below are some Frequently Asked Questions that are prepared for our F1 students. 


For on-campus latest COVID-19 updates, visit "the KNOW" website.


 F1-Student Frequently Asked Questions 

Last updated on 2.16.21

"Since my classes are virtual, can I leave the country?"

Yes. The 5-month out of country regulation has been suspended for students maintaining their F-1 visa status by being fully enrolled and registered in SEVIS each term/semester whether within or outside the U.S.

"Does it mean that I am allowed to re-enter the U.S. anytime?"

It depends. The government regularly updates the list of travel bans without extensive notification. It is best to contact us prior to leaving the U.S. If allowed to re-enter, you may be subjected to a time of self-quarantine.

"Can I still live on-campus if classes are virtual?"

Yes. The University's campus housing will remain open for students who need to live on-campus even if the University were to close. Visit Sodexo's page to know more about their food service.

"What can I do if I am abroad and my virtual classes are at night?"

Discuss with your professor to have access to an asynchronous format. Via the the university COVID-19 guidance, students are informed that all classes that meet face-to-face may also be recorded while meeting FERPA expectations.

"Is the OISS open and how do I access its services?"

Yes, the OISS remains open to meet all your immigration needs, but most advising will be in a virtual format.  Documents (letters, I-20s etc) can be either mailed or picked up at the Center for Global Engagement.  

"Can I collect unemployment if I get laid off?"

Each state has its own eligibility requirements.  If you meet them, you may be eligible to receive unemployment insurance benefits (usually partial benefits) notwithstanding your F-1 visa status.  Cal Lutheran strongly recommends that you understand the pros and cons before applying for government-provided benefits.

"Am I eligible for a stimulus check?"

The U.S. government stimulus checks are intended for U.S. tax payers who are residents.  Most international students file as non-residents in accordance with tax laws, unless they have been in the U.S. for more than 5 years. 

"What if my country's border is closed?"

International students have a 60-day grace period following graduation and at the end of OPT.  If your country has travel restrictions that prevent you from traveling home, contact your Embassy to assist you with travel arrangements or make an appointment with the OISS to explore available options.