Find part-time employment on campus

How to Obtain a Social Security Card

For International F-1 and J-1 Students

Step 1: Obtain a letter from your supervisor

You will need to request a letter written on university letterhead by your supervisor that states the following:

  • Student’s full name
  • Start date of employment
  • Number of hours per week they will be working
  • Office or department employing the student
  • Job title or duties
  • Whether the job is for pay OR for reduced tuition or scholarship
  • Employer EIN# (note: the EIN# for Cal Lutheran is 95-2962604)
  • Employer’s telephone number
  • Name of the student’s immediate supervisor
  • Signature of the supervisor or department head and title

Sample letter from supervisor (must be on official university letterhead):

January 1, 20XX

To Whom It May Concern:

The Career Services Office has hired Mike Smith as a Student Assistant beginning on January 1st, 2024. Mike will be filing and answering phones under my supervision, Karen Jones, Career Counselor.

Mike will be paid $16.00 per hour for 15 hours per week. The employer ID is 95- 2962604.

Should you have any questions regarding this employment, please call 805-493-0000.

Karen Jones
Career Counselor
California Lutheran University

Step 2: Request a social security verification letter

Visit the OISS student portal after you get your employer's letter, select letter request on the internal platform and upload your employer's letter. The office will then provide you with a Social Security verification letter stating that you are eligible to work in the United States (current I-20 or DS-2019 is required).

Step 3: Begin SS-5 application

Complete the SS-5 application and collect all of the documents required on page 2 and 3:

  • Passport/Visa
  • I-20 or DS-2019
  • Most recent I-94
  • School ID card copy
  • Two letters, including one from your hiring supervisor

Step 4: Collect documents and visit the Social Security Office

Bring the following documents and SS-5 form to the Social Security Office:

  • Both of your letters (Supervisor and Center for Global Engagement/OISS)
  • Foreign passport
  • Form I-94
  • Current Form I-20 or DS-2019
  • Student ID

During your appointment, request a printed confirmation from the Social Security Administration listing your work eligibility and proving that you have applied for a SSN.

Location of the Social Security Office nearest to campus:

322 E. Thousand Oaks Blvd.
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360 

The Social Security Office currently accepts walk-in appointments, and it is open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m.-4 p.m.

Step 5: Once you receive your Social Security Card, collect documents and visit the Student Employment Office

Hang on to your printed confirmation from the Social Security Administration. Once received, bring it with you to the Student Employment Office (see Campus Map) along with the following forms:

  • Required Hiring Forms (see Getting Hired)
  • Foreign Passport with Visa inside
  • Cal Lutheran ID
  • I-20 or DS-2019
  • I-94
  • Printed Confirmation/Letter from Social Security Administration

Wait to recieve your physical Social Security Card in the mail.

  • Once you receive the physical Social Security Card, return to the Student Employment Office (see Campus Map) to get it scanned.

Please note that Cal Lutheran will not be able to issue you a paycheck until you have provided your social security number and we have scanned in your new card.