Find part-time employment on campus

Funding and Student Eligibility

Student employees must be enrolled at least part-time in their program or area of study at CLU to be eligible for student employment positions. Students who have graduated are not considered current students and, therefore, are not eligible for student employment. 

3.1 Budget Allocation 

Budgets are allocated each summer and academic year and provided to the department's Budget Manager. Budget Managers will have access to view their budgets and actuals on Self-Service which will allow them to confirm funds available. When making hiring selections, Supervisors should be hiring students based solely on their qualifications and fit for the position. 

For specific budget questions, we recommend contacting the Budget Office directly. 

3.2 University funds 

Departmental Assistants (DA) Campus Work-Study (CWS) Summer Work-Study (SUM)  

Grad (GA) 

These funds are provided to departments to pay wages for student employees. These wage types are not a form of need‐based 

employment. To be considered, a student must be enrolled full-time (minimum of 12 units per semester) and be a U.S. Citizen or eligible non‐citizen. **Note: Graduate and international students may work in traditional campus jobs** 

Students are not required to be enrolled in the summer term to be eligible for employment; however, they must be enrolled in the upcoming Fall semester. 

3.3 Federal funds appropriated to CLU 

Federal Work-Study (FWS) & Community Service (extension of FWS program) 

These funds supplement the University funds (excluding summer pay periods) to pay wages for student employees. This wage type is a form 

of need‐based employment. To be considered eligible, interested students must meet ALL of the following criteria: 

  • Complete and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) 
  • Have Adequate Financial Need as determined by the FAFSA 
  • Be enrolled at least half-time (at least 6 units or more per semester) 
  • Be a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen 
  • Be achieving Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), in accordance with federal regulations 
  • Cannot be in default on a student loan or owe a repayment on any grant funds 
  • Submit all required Verification documents requested by the Office of Financial Aid 
  • Be employed by California Lutheran University 

The following departments are not eligible to employ a student with FWS Funds: Athletics, Campus Ministry, Campus Services, University Advancement, PLTS, Departmental Assistants, or any Grant-Funded Program (TRIO/SSS/ALLIES in STEM/Upward Bound/CHESS/McNair). This is due to Federal Regulations regarding FWS allocation. 

If awarded FWS, students may only earn the amount of FWS listed on their financial aid award. Hours must be monitored so that the award amount is not exceeded. Note: Students are unable to apply Work-Study earnings towards their tuition cost prior to earning the wages. 

3.4 Exceeding FWS award 

Once a student’s FWS award is exhausted, they will automatically be converted to earning CWS wages. If the student begins earning CWS wages, it could affect their future financial aid awards. Because of this, the decision to continue working and earning CWS wages is ultimately the student’s decision. The department must not assume or expect the student to keep working after their FWS has been used. 

3.5 International Students 

Traditional undergraduate international students (F-1 VISA) can be permitted to work on-campus if they have a Social Security Card and are currently enrolled for the fall and spring semesters. In order to get a Social Security (SS) Card, an F-1 VISA student must prove to the Social Security Administration that the student has a job offer. The Student Employment Office and International Student Services Office (OISS) will assist students interested in working at CLU with a form letter to request a SS Card as well as additional instructions and guidance. This letter must be completed and signed by the hiring supervisor. 


The student must wait to receive a receipt from the Social Security Office stating that the application for a SS Card has been sub- 

mitted and then bring it to the Student Employment Office, along with all other hiring documents. A student CANNOT start work until all employment paperwork has been processed and the Supervisor has received an e-mail authorization for the student to begin working (see Section 4 for more information). 

3.6 Graduate Students 

Graduate students are encouraged to apply for Graduate Assistantships. Compensation for graduate assistantships is typically offered through tuition credits via the student’s financial aid award. There are limited hourly paid positions for graduate students at the Thousand Oaks campus. Students working at PLTS will be paid hourly. 

3.7 Resident Assistants (RAs) 

Students who have been selected to be an RA are not eligible to receive DA, CWS, or FWS wages unless they have prior approval from the Student Employment Office. In some cases, RA may assume the role of a Department Assistant (DA), this must be approved by 

the Residence Life Department and Student Employment. 

3.8 Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) 

On June 15, 2012, it was announced by the Secretary of Homeland Security that certain people who arrived in the United States as 

children and who meet key guidelines may request for consideration of deferred action. Students who have been granted DACA will be issued an Employment Authorization card and a Social Security card. DACA students are eligible for any non-FWS-funded position.