Find part-time employment on campus

Hiring Guidelines and Procedures

4.1 Who Can Hire 

CLU or PLTS regular staff and faculty (persons who have been hired to work at California Lutheran University through Human Resources) are the only persons authorized to sign the "Supervisor Intent to Hire" on the Student Employment Personnel Action Form. Student employees (even if they are in a supervisory student employee position), DAs, and RAs do not have the authority to act as other students’ supervisors for hiring purposes or to approve hours worked. No offers of student employment should be given until the student is approved by the Student Employment Office as having met all requirements for employment and funding availability. 

4.2 Position Descriptions 

Each department is required by federal law to submit job descriptions to the Student Employment Office for all positions held by students in their department. The position description form is available under the Supervisor Resources tab on the Student Employment Website at the Post a Joblink. 

4.3 Employment of Family Members 

It is the policy of California Lutheran University that the institution may hire members of the same family to full-time or part-time employment with the following exceptions: a. Members of the same family will not be placed in the same department or office of the University. b. Members of the same family will not be placed in a condescending employment condition where one member of the family assumes a subordinate role to another member of the same family, as outlined in the California Fair Employment Housing Act, Section 12940(a) (3) (A). 2 Exceptions to this policy may be made by specific action of the President of the University. 3. California Lutheran University students from such families who may be given employment are considered to be governed by this policy and otherwise shall be governed under general policies for student employment. 

4.4 Available Positions 

Departments must post all available positions on the Student Employment website for the students to browse. Students begin looking for positions as early as July. For best candidate options, departments should post positions by July 31st at the latest. 

4.5 Directions for posting a job on the Student Employment website: 

  1. Go to the Student Employment website ( 
  2. Click on “Post a Job” 
  3. Log in to your MyCLU account 
  4. Complete the job posting form 
  5. Click “Submit” 
  6. Once the position has been approved, you will receive a confirmation e-mail from the Student Employment Office 
  7. All on-campus positions are posted for one month unless the supervisor specifies otherwise 
  8. Students will apply by email and are instructed to complete a Student Employment Application (Supervisors may request a resume and cover letter, in addition to the application) 
  9. When the position has been filled, and/or you would like it removed from the job board, send an email to studentemployment@CalLutheran.eduto request removal 

4.6 Applications and Interviews 

Each department is responsible for reviewing all applications received from the Student Employment website. Departments should respond to every student who completes an application for their department, either by scheduling an interview or notifying the applicant that the position is no longer available. 

**Reminder: International and/or Foreign-Born students with an F-1 Visa are eligible to work in any on-campus job. 

4.7 Suggested Interview Questions 

It is illegal to ask a job applicant questions that would determine certain information about the applicant such as nationality, age, religion, race, disability, sexual orientation, or marital status. The following questions are appropriate to ask during an interview: 

  1. What are your qualifications for this job? 
  2. Why do you think you might like to work in this department? 
  3. What is your long-term educational goal? Career goals? 
  4. What jobs have you held? 
  5. What was your favorite job? Why? 
  6. How well do you work under pressure/in a busy environment? 
  7. What is your major weakness? Major strength? 
  8. What makes you the best person for this position? 

4.8 Before Beginning Work 

Students are required to complete a Student Employment Personnel Action Form, Form I-9, Form W-4, and a Direct Deposit Form before they will be authorized to work at CLU. If you wish to hire a student, you must complete the “Supervisor” portion of the Student Personnel Action form once prompted within your email. New student hires should return their hire forms (I-9, W-4, & Direct Deposit) to the Student Employment Office in person so that the office can confirm their identity and verify their employment eligibility. Students working at the PLTS campus should submit their forms to the PLTS Business Office. 

Once all forms are received, the Student Employment Office will process the paperwork and determine when/if the student is eligible to begin working. The primary supervisor listed on the Student Employment Personnel Action form will receive an email, which will indicate if the student is eligible for employment or not. If the student is eligible, the email will list an authorized start date. Students must not be permitted to work before that date. If the student is not eligible, supervisors will be contacted by the Student Employment office. 

1. Student Employment Personnel Action Form 

4.9 Required Paperwork 

Generally, students are hired to work for a department for the entire academic year (fall/spring). Accordingly, students only need to submit their paperwork once during the academic year. Required paperwork includes: 

2. Form I-9 – Employment Eligibility Verification 

Per the Department of Homeland Security, all U.S. employers must verify the employment eligibility and identity of all employees 

hired to work in the United States. This is done by completing an Employment Eligibility Verification Form (Form I-9). Employers who hire or employ individuals knowing that they are not authorized to be employed in the United States may face civil and criminal penalties. This means that it is against the law to have a student working that has not completed and submitted a Form I-9. The penalties for non-compliance have tremendous fiscal impact on the University. 

When submitting Form I-9, students are required to show proper identification document(s). The list of acceptable documents 

can be found on the back of the form. We cannot accept photocopies or faxed copies of these identification documents because we must examine the actual document(s). For this reason, the student is required to return their completed Form I-9 to the Student Employment Office or PLTS Business Office in person. 

3. Form W-4 - Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate 

Form W-4s are required so that the correct amount of federal income tax can be withheld. Supervisors are prohibited from advising students on how to complete their Form W-4. Should the student have questions, they are strongly encouraged to direct their questions to their parents/guardians, tax preparer, or any other trusted tax professional or adult. 

4. Direct Deposit Form 

All students must enroll in direct deposit during the hiring process. A voided check will be required in order for the Payroll Office to submit funds to the proper bank account 

4.10 Other Requirements 

Students hired to work in certain departments, (e.g. Security, Preschool, or in departments that deal with cash or merchandise or work with minors) may be required to have their fingerprints taken and/or background checks. In addition, T.B. tests (tuberculosis) are required for 

those student employees who will be working with food, children, or learning-disabled students. Students working with minors must comply with the University’s sexual misconduct policy. For more information, contact the Human Resources Office. 

Students on Academic Probation 

*Students placed on academic probation must remain enrolled in half-time status. Students placed on financial aid suspension cannot work. Financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) maintains a student must meet these three criteria: 

  1. 2.00 cumulative GPA 
  2. Completing 67% of all attempted coursework 

Be on pace to graduate within a 150% of the expected time to complete the degree 

4.11 Eligible Start 

The Student Employment Personnel Action Form and all required paperwork need to be submitted to the Student Employment Office and 

the supervisor and student must receive an authorization email before starting employment. A new Student Employment Personnel Action Form is required for each new academic year and each summer term. Note: Students who work on-campus for the summer will continue to earn wages out of the department's summer budget until the Tuesday before the fall semester begins. 

All fall student employees are not eligible to begin employment until matriculation (the first day of classes). 

4.12 Rehiring Students 

Budget managers will be notified of their new budgets over the Summer. At this time, the department will know their available funding and can determine if they will be able to extend an offer for continued employment. For a student to be rehired from fall/spring to summer (or summer to fall/spring) they must submit a new Student Employment Personnel Action Form.They are not required to submit a new form W-4, form I-9, or Direct Deposit. 

4.13 Status Change 

Anytime there is a change in a student’s status after the student has been authorized (including wage increase, hours increase, termination, etc.) the Supervisor is required to notify the Student Employment Office by submitting a Student Employment Update Form.All changes must adhere to hiring guidelines (See Section 4.14-4.18). Additionally, please notify Payroll as well for these changes. 

Exception Request: Any department wishing to hire a student for a wage rate over the minimum wage per hour must designate “Higher Wage” in the Supervisor section of the personnel form, which should include a full description of the student's expected duties and thorough justification explaining why the student deserves to earn a higher wage. Any request requires approval by the Director and/or Vice President before the student may start working. The payroll system will only accommodate a single pay rate per pay period. 

4.15 Hours per week 

Students may work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the academic year (while school is in session) and a maximum of 40 hours per week during the summer, winter, and spring breaks. Students must not exceed 8 hours of work in one day, and they cannot work 7 consecutive days without incurring an overtime penalty. 

4.16 Overtime and Bonus Policies 

Overtime and bonuses are not permitted! 

4.17 Sick Time 

Effective July 2015, student employees will be eligible for sick time pay. Please see Section 6 for details on sick time accruals. 

4.18 Concurrent Employment 

A student may not have more than one on-campus job. This includes hourly paid positions (DA, CWS, FWS, and SUWS). Effective November 2016, Resident Assistants (RA’s) may work as Departmental Assistants only if approved by the Residence Life Office and Student Employment Office.